November 26, 2008

Shrub # 2 - Amelanchier Lamarckii

Next in line at 8pm on the clockwise planting compass and 2nd from the front when looking at the left border, I planted one of the few deciduous plants, Amelanchier Lamarckii - or Snowy Mespilus. A very beautiful, small, North American tree.

When I planted it, it had pink edged leaves, and currently it leafless with the fine shoots making a satisfying, dense shape.

I'm told that Autumn is the perfect time for container grown trees to thrive. So I dug a wide hole, twice the size of the pot and slightly deeper. The soil was nice and loose with all my digging. After putting the tree in the centre, I made sure the top of the rootball was level with topsoil. I then filled the hole with a compost and soil mixture. I should have pressed more firmly, as when i watered it, the spil level dropped so I had to clear away the mulch bark chipping from the top and add more soil, and cover with bark mulch once again.

All good so far.

A few weeks later, Dear Husband started to worry that Puppy had chewed off all the leaves but I reassured him that this was meant to happen in November. It's still standing, so Spring will show how well it likes the soil, position and my planting techniques. I'm looking forward to its white star-shaped flowers unfolding and its summer berries.

No comments: